Saturday, March 29, 2014

The Best Homemade Granola


Every year, my mom makes a huge batch of this granola to give out as Christmas gifts. I usually run out in March, grieve a little, and then try to convince her to make more. This was the first time I've made it myself, and I couldn't believe how easy it was. Maybe it's my inner Monica Gellar, but I felt a little bit triumphant in creating something that's more delicious and way healthier than what you can buy in bakeries or stores.

what you need: 
4 cups old fashioned rolled oats
2 cups sweetened shredded coconut (be careful if using organic - it burns easily)
2 cups sliced almonds
3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (my EVOO of choice for cooking & baking)
1/2 cup good honey (get local honey - it helps protect against local allergens)
1 1/4 cup dried apricots, diced into small pieces
3/4 cup dried cherries

how to make it:

  • Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
  • Combine oats, coconut, almonds in a large bowl
  • Whisk together the honey and EVOO in a small bowl, pour over oat mixture until it is evenly covered
  • Pour granola onto a baking pan, spread evenly (line it with parchment paper or a silpat if you don't want it to stick)

  • Bake for 20 - 30 minutes, checking and stirring occasionally to make sure it doesn't burn 
  • Exact baking time varies by oven - just stay close & watch it around 20 minutes - it will be done when it has an even, golden brown color

  • Once cooled, mix in the apricots, cashews and cherries (I like keep the dried fruit minimal, but you can also add in dried cranberries, dried figs, etc.)
  • Voila! Add some berries and greek yogurt, and dig right in
  • Store the rest in an airtight container

Confession time: after I made this, I definitely had it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Several days in a row. I dare you to try and not do the same.


(Recipe adapted from Barefoot Contessa's homemade granola. All photos by the talented Rachel Ashley.)



2 comments:

  1. I am a big fan of homemade granola and always look for new takes and recipes. This is a great one, will definitely be trig it out when I run out of my current stash!

    ReplyDelete